PEOPLE LIKE US
What do we have in common with Winston Churchill, Michaelangelo and Isaac Newton?
Like us, they all suffered from depression!!!
Depression is an illness that can affect anyone, whether they are rich, poor, famous, successful ....
many well-known people have experienced this sometimes crippling condition.
We are putting together a list of well known Australians who suffer or have suffered depression,
and will have a little information about them and their experiences here.
We also have a list of famous people from around the world who have had depression.
We want to be able to tell you a little about well known Australians who have suffered depression.|
- Chair of the Mental Health Council of Australia
shares his experiences as a carer of a family member who has a mental illness
AFL Footballer/KangaroosJohn McGrath - Chair, Mental Health Council of Australia
Barcroft Boake - Author - 'Where The Dead Men Lie'
Adriana Xenides - Game Show Star
Leah Hudson - TV Presenter
- Cartoonist, listen to an interview at
Famous People From Around The World
- Lionel Aldridge - Football Player
- Buzz Aldrin - Astronaut
- Antoin Artaud - Dramatist, Artist (may have had schizophrenia)
- Syd Barrett of the band Pink Floyd
- Ludwig von Beethoven - composer
- Lord Byron - Poet
- Cher - actress / entertainer
- Winston Churchill - English Prime Minister
- John Cleese - actor best known for his role as Basil Fawlty in the series, Fawlty Towers, and Monty Python.
- Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658) - soldier, statesman and Lord Protector of England (1652-1658) after he declined the crown after Charles I was beheaded in 1649 during the Civil War.
- Jefferson Davis - President of the Confederate States of America
- Charles Dickens - Author
- Patty Duke - Actress
- Carrie Fisher - Actress
- Peter Green - Guitarist for Fleetwood Mac
- Ernest Hemingway - 1954 Nobel Laureate in Literature
- Linda Hamilton - Actress - The Terminator
- Sir Julian Huxley - Depression is described in his autobiography
- T. H. Huxley - Zoologist
- Kay Jamison - Professor of Psychiatry/Author
- John Keats - poet
- Vivien Leigh - actress
- Primo Levi - Jewish - Italian Writer
- Meriwether Lewis - Explorer
- Abraham Lincoln - American President
- Mary Todd Lincoln - wife of Abraham Lincoln
- Michelangelo - Artist
- Spike Milligan - Actor / Comedian
- John Nash - Mathematician / Nobel Prize Winner
- Isaac Newton - Physicist
- Vaclav Nijinsky - Famous Russian Dancer
- Marie Osmond - Author
- Sylvia Plath - poet
- Edgar Allan Poe - writer
- Ezra Pound - poet
- Paul Robeson - Actor and Singer
- General Sherman - Army Commander
- William Styron - Writer/Author of Darkness Visible:a memoir of madness
- Ted Turner - Founded and runs CNN
- Vincent Van Gogh - painter
- Evelyn Waugh - English writer and novelist, probably best known for Brideshead Revisited
- Lewis Wolpert - British Embryologist
- Virginia Woolf - a major British novelist, essayist, and critic
Books by or about peoples' struggles and successes overcoming depression or manic depression:
Ted Turner: founded and runs CNN, and married to Jane Fonda.His book, "It Ain't as Easy as It Looks",
(US $16) - includes discussion of his use of Lithium and struggles with manic depression.
"A Brilliant Madness - Living with manic-depressive illness" (US $6)
These are two good examples of books that can inspire. Let us know if you have any others!
Your feedback and input will be greatly appreciated.
If you have a service or product that may be of assistance to people with depression or a related condition, or their support people, please
contact us for details on how to be listed or contribute to this site.
Keeping Safe |
Contact us |
Site map |
Privacy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2005 depressioNet